13-year-old boy arrested in threat against a middle school in South LA; deputies seize AR-15-style rifle and a list of intended victims

Top Stories

Deputies seized AR-15 Style rifle from the home of a 13-year-old boy who planned a middle school shooting in South LA

LOS ANGELES (AP) — An arrest was made after a student threatened to shoot other students and staff at a Los Angeles-area school, authorities said Friday.

Deputies executing a search warrant seized an AR-15-style rifle, a list of intended victims and a drawing of the school, Los Angeles County Undersheriff Tim Murakami said on Twitter. He did not identify the student, say when the arrest or threat were made, and did not name the school.

Sheriff Alex Villanueva planned a news conference later Friday to release more details.

WATCH NOW: THWARTED SCHOOL SHOOTING PLOT PRESS CONFERENCE

The suspect allegedly purchased weapons parts on the internet and created a ghost gun that’s unregistered and untraceable, Murakami said. Silencers, body armor and a large quantity of ammunition were also seized, he said.

Last week a 16-year-old boy used a ghost gun to fatally shoot two classmates and himself at Saugus High School in the Los Angeles suburb of Santa Clarita.

Villanueva said Thursday that Nathaniel Berhow’s .45 caliber, 1911-model replica semi-automatic pistol was assembled from gun parts and did not have a serial number.

Such weapons are a growing problem for law enforcement around the country because the parts are easy to obtain and the guns take limited expertise to build. In Southern California, federal authorities say one-third of all the firearms seized are ghost guns.

Police don’t yet know where and when Berhow got the handgun or what his motive was for the shooting at Saugus High.

Copyright 2020 Nexstar Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

TRENDING STORIES