Birmingham, ALA. (WIAT) — If you’re an AT&T customer, get ready for faster speeds on your phone. AT&T plans on expanding its 5G coverage to Birmingham in the coming weeks.
For those that are on AT&T’s Unlimited Extra or Unlimited Elite plans, the addition of 5G coverage will come at no extra cost. It is not yet known whether this coverage will be available for AT&T’s Unlimited Starter or mobile share plans.
To take advantage of the 5G coverage, you need to make sure your phone supports 5G. As of now, the only phone capable of 5G coverage from AT&T is the Samsung Galaxy Note S10+ 5G.
5G is the next step above the current cellular network, 4G LTE. Early reports of AT&T’s 5G network have shown it to be close to 100 times faster than 4G LTE, with expectations for the gap between the two to grow.
As of June, there are 14 cities in Alabama that support AT&T’s 5G Evolution (5G E) coverage. This “bridge network” between 4G LTE and 5G enables faster speeds while using 5G E, but it’s not as fast as true 5G. Click here for a list of AT&T devices compatible with 5G E.
What do you think of the new 5G coverage coming to Birmingham? Are you excited for the faster speeds and connectivity? Let me know on Twitter: @NickErebia.
- Breast oncologist breaks down myths, prevention and tell-tale signs
- Hotels feeling the impact from COVID-19
- AL health officials: Fall weather, activities factors in COVID-19 trends
- Tracking The Tropics: Epsilon now the 10th Hurricane of 2020
- Alabama National Guard trains for possible civil unrest following election day