Birmingham, ALA. (WIAT) — If you’re an AT&T customer, get ready for faster speeds on your phone. AT&T plans on expanding its 5G coverage to Birmingham in the coming weeks.
For those that are on AT&T’s Unlimited Extra or Unlimited Elite plans, the addition of 5G coverage will come at no extra cost. It is not yet known whether this coverage will be available for AT&T’s Unlimited Starter or mobile share plans.
To take advantage of the 5G coverage, you need to make sure your phone supports 5G. As of now, the only phone capable of 5G coverage from AT&T is the Samsung Galaxy Note S10+ 5G.
5G is the next step above the current cellular network, 4G LTE. Early reports of AT&T’s 5G network have shown it to be close to 100 times faster than 4G LTE, with expectations for the gap between the two to grow.
As of June, there are 14 cities in Alabama that support AT&T’s 5G Evolution (5G E) coverage. This “bridge network” between 4G LTE and 5G enables faster speeds while using 5G E, but it’s not as fast as true 5G. Click here for a list of AT&T devices compatible with 5G E.
What do you think of the new 5G coverage coming to Birmingham? Are you excited for the faster speeds and connectivity? Let me know on Twitter: @NickErebia.
- Birmingham Legion FC Raises $8,800 For Civil Rights Institute
- Sports bars brace for possible losses if 2020 football season is canceled
- Back to school: Lawmakers debate safest options for students, teachers as schools prepare to reopen
- Hotel owners concerned about football season in Tuscaloosa
- 100 arrested after night of looting in downtown Chicago; 13 police injured