AUBURN, Ala. (WIAT) — The script has been flipped — emphatically.
Thompson thumped Central-Phenix City in the Class 7A Alabama State Championship Wednesday night at Jordan-Hare Stadium, 40-14. The Warriors gave the Red Devils a taste of their own medicine after Central throttled them, 52-7, last year.
“Feels real good,” Thompson head coach Mark Freeman said after the win. “It really feels good for them. What a year. There’s so much that will come out of this year that’s not a blue map and a ring. I’m happy for them.”
“It’s hard to believe. Twelve months ago, we got sent home in a body bag. I’ve never seen kids — from day one, they thought they could win the game. I’m just so proud of them.”
- Alice Marie Johnson returns to Birmingham, has a message for everyone: “I bring a message of healing”
- Candace Owens starts ‘GoFundMe’ account for Birmingham bar owner
- 1 person dead after shots are fired on 1st Ave. North, homicide investigation underway
- Officer saves choking child while on lunch break at Olive Garden
- Trump mistakenly says Tijuana is ‘most infected city in the world’