MONTGOMERY, Ala. (WIAT) - Mountain Brook High School junior Trendon Watford was named the Alabama Sportswriters Association’s Mr. Basketball Tuesday afternoon at the Renaissance Montgomery Hotel & Spa at the Convention Center.
Only a junior, Watford helped Mountain Brook win the Class 7A championship for the second year in a row.
Watford averaged 23.3 points on 63 percent shooting and averaged 12.3 rebounds this season.
He is also the first Birmingham-area Mr. Basketball since De’Runnya Wilson won at Wenonah in 2013.
Watford finished runner up in the voting a year ago. Alabama freshman John Petty was Mr. Basketball each of the past two season.
Watford now has a chance to match him next year as a senior.
- Copyright 2018 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
- 3 children taken at gunpoint in Jefferson County are safe, officials say
- Police searching for 3 suspects who stole ATM from Walgreens, fired shots at officer during chase
- Dog dies from saltwater poisoning at Tampa Bay area beach
- Wife shoots and kill husband in Sylvan Springs