BIRMINGHAM, Ala. (WIAT) – Pro sports are finally back in Birmingham as the Legion FC makes its long-awaited return to play tonight at 7 against rival Memphis 901 FC at BBVA Field.
The match will be the Legion’s first competitive outing since the 2019 USL Championship Playoffs.
The Legion will kick off its second season during the 2020 USL Championship. This year’s championship, however, won’t be played the same as last year. The league format has been updated, with group stages serving as the path into the playoffs. Both the 901 and Legion are in Group G, alongside North Carolina FC and the Charlotte Independence.
The Legion took four out of a possible six points against Memphis last season. The Black and Gold earned a point in a 2-2 road draw and three points in a 1-0 win.
Tonight’s match kicks off at 7 and will be available to watch on ESPN 2. There are new safety and health protocols in place at BBVA field. If you’re going to the match, you’ll want to click here to learn more about those changes.
- Magic City Classic tickets will be virtual, offering a limited number of tickets at box office
- Min wage provision threatens success of COVID relief bill
- Police chief warns militia groups ‘want to blow up’ Capitol during State of the Union
- Olympics gymnastics coach John Geddert dies by suicide following human trafficking, sexual assault charges
- ‘I just want to be an average human’: 13-year-old science lover who lost his mom looking for a new family