AUBURN, Ala. (WIAT)– It’s officially Bo Nix or bust for Auburn at quarterback.
Head coach Gus Malzahn confirmed Wednesday that backup Joey Gatewood has left the team.
“He’s just at a point now where he wants to be a starting quarterback and just feels like he needs to start looking for schools now so he can find the right spot, and I respect that,” Malzahn said.
Gatewood saw action in seven games, mainly in a wildcat package. He rushed for 148 yards on 29 carries and three touchdowns. He completed 5 of 7 passes for 54 yards and two touchdowns.
Gatewood hails from Jacksonville, Florida and committed to Auburn as a high school sophomore.
- Kiffin, FAU roll past UAB 49-6 for Conference USA title
- Homicide investigation underway after 4-year-old boy shot and killed in Collegeville neighborhood
- Central AL Forecast: Unsettled weather next week
- Huntsville Police arrest Tennessee man after fatal officer shooting Friday night
- Florida mom, dad, 17-year-old son all battling cancer ask for prayers, Christmas miracle