AUBURN, Ala. (WIAT)– It’s officially Bo Nix or bust for Auburn at quarterback.
Head coach Gus Malzahn confirmed Wednesday that backup Joey Gatewood has left the team.
“He’s just at a point now where he wants to be a starting quarterback and just feels like he needs to start looking for schools now so he can find the right spot, and I respect that,” Malzahn said.
Gatewood saw action in seven games, mainly in a wildcat package. He rushed for 148 yards on 29 carries and three touchdowns. He completed 5 of 7 passes for 54 yards and two touchdowns.
Gatewood hails from Jacksonville, Florida and committed to Auburn as a high school sophomore.
- President Trump criticizes privately built border wall in Mission
- Birmingham Fire investigating fire at St. Mark the Evangelist Catholic Church
- Central AL Forecast: Afternoon Storms Leave Widespread Damage; Heat Wave Expected This Week
- Trees down in Wenonah due to severe storm
- Florida breaks record for highest single-day COVID-19 cases in the US