TUSCALOOSA, Ala. (AP) — Alabama plans to honor its first African American scholarship athlete, Wendell Hudson.
Hudson’s No. 20 jersey will become the first to hang in the rafters at Coleman Coliseum. The ceremony will be held at halftime of Alabama’s basketball game with LSU on Feb. 15. Hudson’s jersey number will still be in circulation. A scholarship has also been endowed in his honor. Crimson Tide uniforms will sport a WH patch for the rest of the winter and sprint sport seasons.
Hudson averaged 19.0 points and 12.9 rebounds during his Alabama career and was the Southeastern Conference player of the year in 1973.
- Russell County High School coach arrested; allegedly assaulted player
- Can’t find the Amazon app icon on your phone? That’s because it got a makeover
- Stimulus check latest: Biden urges Senate Democrats to rally behind $1.9T COVID-19 bill
- Walt Maddox wins fifth term as Tuscaloosa’s mayor
- New York is ready for a new governor in 2022, NewsNation poll finds