MADISON, Wis. (AP) — Prosecutors have charged two Madison women accused of beating a Wisconsin state senator during a protest over police racism with battery.
Online court records show charges were filed Wednesday against 33-year-old Kerida O’Reilly and 26-year-old Samantha Hamer. Each is charged with one felony count of being a party to substantial battery. Investigators believe the women attacked Democratic state Sen. Tim Carpenter during a protest outside the state Capitol on June 23. Both appeared in Dane County court Wednesday and were released on signature bonds.
Defense attorneys asked for the charges to be dismissed because of insufficient evidence, but a court commissioner denied the request.
- 2 American men sentenced to life for killing Italian police officer
- New York waitress indicted for allegedly stealing an estimated $50K in lotto tickets from restaurant
- Man suffering life-threatening injuries after being shot in Birmingham
- Husband arrested on first-degree murder charges in death of Suzanne Morphew
- Walt Disney World bans former employee who was fired for drinking water from park’s decorative fountains