MADISON, Wis. (AP) — Prosecutors have charged two Madison women accused of beating a Wisconsin state senator during a protest over police racism with battery.
Online court records show charges were filed Wednesday against 33-year-old Kerida O’Reilly and 26-year-old Samantha Hamer. Each is charged with one felony count of being a party to substantial battery. Investigators believe the women attacked Democratic state Sen. Tim Carpenter during a protest outside the state Capitol on June 23. Both appeared in Dane County court Wednesday and were released on signature bonds.
Defense attorneys asked for the charges to be dismissed because of insufficient evidence, but a court commissioner denied the request.
- Activists rush to preserve artifacts of the modern civil rights movement
- Fire damages home of TV host Rachael Ray
- Person found dead inside car along I-65 in Birmingham
- Widespread damage reported in downtown Chicago after night of looting
- Birmingham firefighters extinguish fire in abandoned building Sunday