CENTRAL TEXAS (FOX 44) — The Brazos County Health District announced Thursday it is investigating a possible case of the 2019 Novel Coronavirus.
WATCH: Health Experts give Update on investigation into a suspected case of the Coronavirus in Texas
The patient recently traveled from Wuhan, China, which is where the illness has killed at least 17 people and forced a shutdown of the entire city.
The District says health care providers were aware of the virus and quickly recognized the symptoms in the patient. That person is being kept isolated at home while more testing is done.
Texas A&M issues statement on a confirmed student with Coronavirus
“Earlier today, Texas A&M University was notified by the Brazos County Health District that a student may have a possible case of novel coronavirus.
Texas A&M continues to work with its Student Health Services and the Brazos County Health District. Officials have described the immediate health risk to the campus community as low.
Students who have questions or concerns, can contact A&M’s Student Health Services at firstname.lastname@example.org or on its Facebook page.
Guidance on the virus is available on the Centers for Disease Control website.”
On Wednesday, FOX44’s Emily Kaye spoke to the McLennan County Health District about the risks the coronavirus represents to Central Texas.
The general public is encouraged to practice these preventive actions:
• Everyone 6 months and older is encouraged to get a flu shot.
• Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds. If soap and water are not available, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer.
• Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth with unwashed hands.
• Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
• Stay home when you are sick.
• Cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue, then throw the tissue in the trash.
• Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces.
- Tuscaloosa County voters head to the polls for absentee voting Saturday
- AMBER Alert canceled: Victims found safe, suspect in custody in Kansas
- Biden campaign launches ‘TrumpCovidPlan.com’ — a site that reads ‘Not Found’
- Briarwood Christian claims Bassmaster High School National Championship On Kentucky Lake
- Days away: We’re counting down to daylight saving and extra sleep