SALT LAKE CITY, Utah (ABC4 News) — The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints has temporarily suspended church gatherings worldwide.
In a statement released to its members, the First Presidency and Quorum of the Twelve Apostles said they have been monitoring the changing conditions related to the COVID-19 throughout the world.
We have considered the counsel of local Church leaders, government officials and medical professionals, and have sought the Lord’s guidance in these matters. We now provide the following updated directions.
Beginning immediately, all public gatherings of church members are being temporarily suspended worldwide until further notice, including stake conferences, leadership conferences and other large gatherings, and all public worship services, including sacrament meetings branch, ward and stake activities.
They are asking for any essential leadership meetings to be done via technology.
Specific questions may be referred to local priesthood leaders where further direction related to other matters will be provided.
Bishops should counsel with their stake president to determine how to make the sacrament available to members at least once a month.
We encourage members in their ministering efforts to care for one another. We should follow the Savior’s example to bless and lift others.
We bear our witness of the Lord’s love during this time of uncertainty. He will bless you to find joy as you do your best to live the gospel of Jesus Christ in every circumstance.
- Los Angeles mayor OKs shutting off water, power to combat house parties and other gatherings
- Bessemer City Schools cancel all fall middle school sports due to COVID-19 risks
- Family protests local hospital, says staff wrongfully declared loved one deceased
- Oklahoma woman participates in COVID-19 trial so she can hug her grandchildren again
- The Great Receipt Race kicks off in Birmingham