SHELBY COUNTY, Ala. (WIAT)– A lot of us will be turning on the heat for the first time this season as temperatures begin to drop this week.
Shelby County Volunteer Fire Chief Cain Reed says they always see an increase in emergency calls when temperatures drop so drastically. Reed said chimneys need to be expected and cleaned each year. If they aren’t a fire can start.
“The crystal builds up inside the chimney and its flammable,” Reed said. “When the flames don’t get enough air, it’ll suck up to it and catch the crystal on fire and then you have a chimney fire.”
Along with tending to your chimney, caution needs to be taken with space heaters. The area surrounding a space heater needs to be cleared to ensure nothing catches fire. Reed said that if you’re planning on enjoying a fire, never use gasoline to get a fire going.
“That’s a real bad hazard because you’re wood might be a little wet and you think, let me throw this accelerant on it, and it can come back upon you,” he said.
Reed warned to never use a stove or oven to warm your home because it can not only burn an unsuspecting victim but start a fire.
“That’s dangerous because if you’ve got a pet, he can get into it, a small child, or even an adult,” he said.
If you need a place to keep warm this week, the Boutwell Auditorium will be open on Tuesday and Wednesday night.
- Tuscaloosa, Auburn mayors continue Iron Bowl wager for charity
- Second stimulus checks: Here’s how Biden might try to boost the economy
- Workers worldwide hold ‘Make Amazon Pay’ protests on Black Friday
- Here’s what is coming to Netflix – and what’s leaving – in December
- COVID-19 in custody: Alabama ranks 9th for inmate deaths