BREMEN, Ga. (AP) — Officials say they suspect human remains found in western Georgia belong to a missing 31-year-old woman.
Jessica Earl, last seen in Tallapoosa, has been missing since June 2018.
Haralson County Sheriff Eddie Mixon tells local news outlets a property owner found a tattered backpack a few weeks ago. Inside was a wallet with Earl’s identification.
Authorities initially searched the property with cadaver dogs, but were inhibited by thick brush. On Thursday, someone found a human skull in an area a dog had shown interest in. Remains were sent to the state crime lab.
It’s unclear how Earl died. Police considered Earl’s boyfriend as a suspect, but he says he last saw Earl walking into woods under the influence of drugs. News outlets report the boyfriend remains jailed on other charges.
- FDA authorizes Johnson & Johnson’s single-dose COVID-19 vaccine
- Feds pinpoint suspect in officer’s riot death, AP reports
- Georgia County Sheriff’s deputy buys chocolate cake, makes 8-year-old’s day
- 2-year-old shot early Saturday in Birmingham
- Third stimulus checks: Here’s where we stand as February ends