WETUMPKA, Ala. (AP) — Law enforcement officials say a 3-year-old girl died after apparently drowning in a neighbor’s pond.
Elmore County Sheriff Bill Franklin tells news outlets that the body of 3-year-old Jalyssa Ingram was found in a pond.
Franklin said foul play is not suspected, but an autopsy will be conducted.
The sheriff said the girl was in the front yard with an aunt and wandered off when the adult briefly looked away. Investigators initially believed the girl may have an abducted.
An investigator and bloodhounds tracked the girl’s scent to the bank of a pond about 175 yards away from the house.
- Alabama residents welcome back the return of SEC Football
- No. 2 Crimson Tide rolls on offense to 38-19 win over Mizzou
- ‘She is the female Scalia’: Lawmakers react to President Trump picking Amy Coney Barrett to replace RBG
- PTSD after COVID-19: ‘No doubt’ it’ll happen,’ says NIMH director
- PHOTOS: Trump formally nominates Amy Coney Barrett to Supreme Court