Search resumes for final victim of California boat fire

News

FILE – In this Sept. 2, 2019, file photo, provided by the Santa Barbara County Fire Department, a dive boat is engulfed in flames after a deadly fire broke out aboard the commercial scuba diving vessel off the Southern California Coast. The owners of the dive boat where 34 people perished in a fire off the coast of Southern California filed a legal action in federal court Thursday, Sept. 5, 2019, to head off potentially costly lawsuits. Truth Aquatics Inc., which owned the Conception, filed the action in Los Angeles under a pre-Civil War provision of maritime law that allows it to limit its liability. (Santa Barbara County Fire Department via AP, File)

SANTA BARBARA, Calif. (AP) — Authorities say divers have resumed a search for the final missing victim who perished in a boat fire off the Southern California coast.

The victim is one of 34 who died at sea last week near Santa Cruz Island. Five of the Conception’s six crew members survived after multiple attempts to save the others who were trapped below deck.

Santa Barbara County Sheriff’s Lt. Erik Raney says salvage efforts to recover the Conception also resumed Wednesday.

A criminal investigation of the fire is being handled by the Coast Guard, FBI and U.S. Attorney’s Office in Los Angeles.

Authorities have said the victims, 21 women and 13 men from 16 to 62 years old, appear to have died from smoke inhalation.

WATCH: Operation underway to raise the sunken dive boat that caught on fire

Operation underway to raise the sunken dive boat that caught on fire

BREAKING LIVE: Operation underway to raise the sunken dive boat that caught on fire in Santa Barbara Channel, killing 34 people over Labor Day weekend.

Posted by CBS 42 on Wednesday, September 11, 2019
Operation underway to raise the sunken dive boat that caught on fire

BREAKING LIVE: Operation underway to raise the sunken dive boat that caught on fire in Santa Barbara Channel, killing 34 people over Labor Day weekend. Authorities say divers have resumed a search for the final missing victim as well. Details:http://bit.ly/2kcHad8

Posted by CBS 42 on Wednesday, September 11, 2019

Copyright 2019 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Trending Stories

ONE CLASS AT A TIME sponsored by eCO Credit Union

CBS 42 College Football Challenge

CBS 42 College Football Saturday