BIRMINGHAM, Ala. (WIAT) — The largest shopping mall in the Birmingham area and Alabama will be temporarily closed due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
In a statement released Monday, management for the Riverchase Galleria announced the mall would be closed for the time being, although essential stores and restaurants with exterior-facing entrances would remain open.
“Thank you for your understanding and support,” the statement read. “Our heartfelt wishes for your health and safety. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.”
The Galleria first opened in Hoover in 1986 and remains the largest enclosed shopping center in Alabama. It has nearly 140 stores and restaurants inside.
- Teachers discuss concerns with heading back to school this fall
- Trump wears mask in public for first time during pandemic
- Two officers shot in McAllen, transported to hospital
- Funeral held for Royta Giles Jr. killed in Hoover Galleria shooting
- Central AL Forecast: Rainy Sunday; Heat cranks up next week