INDIANAPOLIS (WXIN) — A pregnant woman died after being hit by an Indianapolis Metropolitan Police Department officer’s car Wednesday night.
IMPD says officer Jonathon Henderson, a 22-year IMPD veteran, was reporting to work for his shift at the time of the crash, which happened at 9:44 p.m. He was approaching I-465 in the right lane when he hit a pedestrian.
Henderson rendered first aid at the scene until Indianapolis Emergency Medical Services (IEMS) arrived and transported the pregnant woman in critical condition to a nearby hospital, where she and her unborn child later died, the IMPD said.
On Thursday, a coroner identified the woman as 23-year-old Ashlynn Lisby. Police said that at the time of the incident, she was wearing dark clothing in an area without a street light.
An investigation is underway, and Henderson submitted to a blood draw. Preliminary findings don’t lead investigators to believe Henderson was impaired at the time of the crash.
- Local pastors host forum on Christians’ role and responsibility in politics
- Experts, voters react to negative political ads
- Social media scams have cost consumers $117M already this year – Here’s what to look out for
- Teen killed, 3 injured in Bessemer drive-by shooting
- Bibb County family seeks justice in cold case murder