FAIRFIELD, Ala. (WIAT) — Fairfield Mayoral Election heads to a runoff in October. The runoff will be between candidates, Michael Williams and Eddie Penny. Penny received 43% of the vote following Williams with 22%. No one received 50%.
Several candidates on the ballot include Jennifer Craig, Michael Williams, former mayor Edward May, city councilor Cynthia Turner-McDowell, former councilman Fredrick Scott, incumbent mayor Eddie Penny and Jeffrey Rowser.
Fairfield has been a struggling city for years with voters this year keeping a close eye on who to vote for. Advance Auto Parts is the latest business that’s leaving the city. But other businesses were forced to shutter during the COVID-19 pandemic, making matters worse in an already financially strapped city that filed for bankruptcy in May, citing millions of dollars in debt.
- Scott, Graham meet with SCOTUS nominee on Capitol Hill
- 500,000 sharks might have to die to fight COVID-19, advocacy group says
- Who won the Trump-Biden debate? 6 moments that defined the night
- Fact check: A look at claims from Trump and Biden’s first debate
- ‘Would you shut up, man?’: Trump, Biden interrupt each other during chaotic debate