FAIRFIELD, Ala. (WIAT) — Fairfield Mayoral Election heads to a runoff in October. The runoff will be between candidates, Michael Williams and Eddie Penny. Penny received 43% of the vote following Williams with 22%. No one received 50%.
Several candidates on the ballot include Jennifer Craig, Michael Williams, former mayor Edward May, city councilor Cynthia Turner-McDowell, former councilman Fredrick Scott, incumbent mayor Eddie Penny and Jeffrey Rowser.
Fairfield has been a struggling city for years with voters this year keeping a close eye on who to vote for. Advance Auto Parts is the latest business that’s leaving the city. But other businesses were forced to shutter during the COVID-19 pandemic, making matters worse in an already financially strapped city that filed for bankruptcy in May, citing millions of dollars in debt.
- Uniformed man seen kneeling at Beau Biden’s grave during inauguration
- Three soldiers killed in upstate NY military helicopter crash
- Tuscaloosa PD introduces new mental health unit
- Inauguration Day from the perspective of future voters, middle schoolers taking civics
- The heartwarming story behind Bernie Sanders’ iconic Inauguration mittens