PELHAM, Ala. (WIAT) — An online threat that was made against a Pelham middle school Monday night has been investigated and deemed not credible by law enforcement.
On Monday night, the Pelham Police Department received word about a threat of violence that had been made on social media against Pelham Park Middle School. According to a release sent out by the department, investigators were able to determine the threat was not credible within hours of working the case.
“Investigators identified the person responsible for the post and met with the child’s parents,” the release stated. “Officers are in touch with the juvenile court system to determine what action will be taken moving forward.”
On Tuesday morning, PPD Chief Pat Cheatwood released a video talking about the investigation and encouraging parents to be involved with what their children are doing.
“We’d like to take this opportunity to please challenge parents to talk to their children on a daily basis, monitor their social media activity, talk to them about their school life, any bullying or violence issue,” Cheatwood said. “Just talk to them daily and find out how school is going.”
Cheatwood said anyone who has concerns or knows of something going on in the city or schools should contact the department.