MINNEAPOLIS, Minn. (AP) — A Minnesota Muslim woman has received $120,000 to settle her lawsuit alleging she was forced to strip in jail and remove her hijab for a booking photo over a traffic offense.
57-year-old Aida Shyef Al-Kadi, of St. Louis Park, and her attorneys on Tuesday announced the settlement approved by a federal judge last month.
Al-Kadi says her treatment at the Ramsey County jail in 2013 was “one of the most humiliating and harmful experiences” of her life.
A judge had issued a warrant for Al-Kadi’s arrest after she missed a court hearing over a traffic offense while taking her daughter to the hospital.
- 4 in custody after leading troopers on pursuit through Birmingham
- Meet Kamala, the dog with no nose rescued after inauguration
- As the COVID-19 pandemic continues, ambulance crews handling more calls than ever
- Memorial service going virtual for civil rights pioneer Jean Graetz
- Ted Cruz vs. Seth Rogen: Republican Texas senator and actor take shots over Twitter