SARASOTA, Fla. (WFLA) – A truck traveling at a high rate of speed crashed into the Sarasota-Bradenton International Airport early Thursday morning, the airport’s president and CEO said.
An officer saw 40-year-old Juan Monsivis of Bradenton try to pass a vehicle as he drove recklessly north on U.S. Highway 41, the Florida Highway Patrol said in a press release.
The officer said he lost sight of Monsivis, then saw him leave the roadway.
Troopers said he crashed into a chain-link fence in front of the airport and continued to travel toward the terminal.
Surveillance video shows the moment Monsivis crashed through a wall, leaving debris all over the terminal.
He was rushed to Sarasota Memorial Hospital to be treated for serious injuries.
Troopers have yet to determine whether alcohol was a factor in the incident.
Charges are pending further investigation, according to the FHP’s report.
A search of the Mantaee County Clerk of Courts website and the Manatee County Jail website shows Monsivis has been arrested numerous times over the years for a host of crimes including DUI, probation violation and drugs possession.
This is a developing story. Please check back for updates.
- Newsfeed Now: Third COVID vaccine begins US rollout; 7-year-old opens lemonade stand to fund brain surgery
- Second woman accuses Governor Cuomo of sexual harassment
- LIVE: White House COVID-19 team briefs public as J&J vaccine doses shipped to states
- Jefferson County Schools to announce vaccine plans for school employees
- Medical facilities in Central Alabama continue to struggle to get COVID-19 vaccine