BURLINGTON, Vt. (CNN/WIAT) — Ben & Jerry’s says its ice cream comes from “happy cows.” But one Vermont man isn’t buying it.
Former Vermont gubernatorial candidate James Ehlers says the ice cream maker’s slogan is false advertising.
According to Ehlers’ lawsuit, less than half of the milk and cream Ben & Jerry’s uses comes from farms that participate in the state’s “Caring Dairy” program, which attempts to give livestock a better life on farms.
Ehlers says Ben & Jerry’s customers pay a premium for the company’s products because they expect its ingredients to be sourced from humane suppliers.
He is opening his lawsuit as a possible class action, but no other plaintiffs have joined him yet.
- Schools cancel after school activities ahead of Monday weather threat
- Shooting investigation underway at Fairfield motorcycle club
- WEATHER AWARE: Strong storms possible Monday late afternoon into evening
- Birmingham opening warming station Tuesday, December 17
- Memorial service date set for Aniah Blanchard