SPANISH FORT, Ala. (WKRG) — Young Demorrist Shaw is being hailed as a hero for jumping into action Friday night and helping his neighbor escape a house fire. It happened before 9 Friday night on Jesse Lane in Spanish Fort off of Highway 31. Shaw lives across the street from the victim.
“I was walking and I seen that house smoking and it didn’t look regular you know, they usually burn stuff outside, but I noticed it was coming from the right side, I kicked down the first door, and he was trapped, he couldn’t get out that side and he’s an old man and heard him groaning, I know that old Mr. Billy can’t get out it would have been on my conscious if I hadn’t kicked the door down,” said Shaw. Shaw helped bring the homeowner out. A day later the fire appears to have gutted the inside of the home. A family member identified the victim as 83-year-old Billy Ray Edwards. He was taken to University Hospital and his daughter says he’s expected to recover from injuries sustained in the fire. She says she’s grateful for the young man’s quick thinking. That, combined with divine intervention, saved her father.
“I am so grateful he was in the right place at the right time,” said Edwards’ daughter Damita Boyd. A hot water heater problem may have started the fire according to neighbors. Boyd says despite the injuries her dad is a strong warrior who was in good spirits when they left the hospital early Saturday morning.
- Can a Supreme Court vacancy be filled during election year?
- Patagonia prints ‘vote the a**holes out’ on clothing tags
- Justice Ginsburg’s ‘fervent’ last wish was to ‘not be replaced until a new president is installed,’ report says
- McConnell says he plans to push forward with Trump Supreme Court nominee
- Family of missing Bibb County woman speaks out about her disappearance