MONTGOMERY, Ala. (WFLA) – Tampa Bay Rays minor leaguer Blake Bivens’ wife and child were among three killed in Virginia Tuesday, according to ESPN’s Jeff Passan.
Passan reports police in Virginia have charged Bivens’ wife’s brother with first-degree homicide.
The Rays affiliate, the Montgomery Biscuits abruptly canceled Tuesday night’s game.
The team sent out a social media announcement that provided limited details other than that it had experienced “a tragic event within the Biscuits family.”
The team asked for privacy and said it will provide “an update when it’s appropriate.”
Their opponent, the Chatanooga Lookouts, sent out a tweet as well saying “Our thoughts are with the entire Tampa Bay Rays and Montgomery Biscuits organizations.”
The Rays have also released a statement saying “Our hearts are broken for Blake. We are grieving with him and will support him any way you can.”
- ‘Zip Tie Guy’ had 15 firearms, tactical gear in his home, court documents say
- New Orleans woman imprisoned at 19 is stunned, elated by pardon from Trump
- ‘America needs to lead the way’: Democrats pleased with Biden’s first day in office, Republicans frustrated
- Trump button used to order Diet Coke disappears from Oval Office’s Resolute Desk
- Japan PM determined to hold Olympics, will cooperate with Tokyo and IOC