COLLIER COUNTY, Fla. (AP) — A kayaker who went missing during a solo trip in the Florida Everglades was found alive after his cell phone washed up on a riverbank.
Authorities were able to recover data from the phone showing where he’d been. The Collier County Sheriff’s Office says a helicopter crew then spotted 67-year-old Mark Miele on Monday and led a marine unit to his location.
National Park Service rangers found a bag containing his wallet and phone Sunday, giving rescuers an area to target their search. Officials say Miele embarked on a solo kayaking trip on Jan. 22 and was due back Jan. 29.
You can view the original social media post by the Collier County Sheriff’s Office below:
- Arrest made in Birmingham fatal shooting
- Wizardry or AI? New service animates old still photos, bringing them to life
- All University of Alabama campuses returning to full in-person instruction in fall 2021
- Butter burger? Sonic rolls out sandwich slathered in dairy spread
- North Carolina man gets revenge on porch pirate with spicy warning