NEW YORK (CNN) — The oldest living person in the U.S. has died.
Alelia Murphy passed away last Saturday at the age of 114.
The former seamstress had been recognized as the oldest living American.
Murphy was a North Carolina native but lived in New York City’s Harlem neighborhood since 1926.
Her family said she credited her longevity to God and “being a good person.”
The Gerontology Research Group says Murphy was 114 years, 140 days old when she died.
- 1 killed, firefighter hurt in apartment fire
- Fultondale Baseball, city looking to move forward from tornado one month later
- Doctor appears in court video call while performing surgery
- Fraud overwhelms pandemic-related unemployment programs
- Friends of murdered Louisiana police officer Martinus Mitchum remember him as a hero