UNION COUNTY, N.C. (CNN) — Authorities in North Carolina are investigating after a newborn baby was found in a plastic bag.
The child is alive. He was found Wednesday in a wooded area in Union County.
Investigators say the Union County Sheriff’s Office was tipped off about the abandoned baby and went to check out the situation.
Once they arrived, deputies heard faint cries from the newborn and found him in the bag, hidden under leaves next to a fence.
Officials say the child was recently born. No other information has been released as the investigation is ongoing.
- President Trump criticizes privately built border wall in Mission
- Birmingham Fire investigating fire at St. Mark the Evangelist Catholic Church
- Central AL Forecast: Afternoon Storms Leave Widespread Damage; Heat Wave Expected This Week
- Trees down in Wenonah due to severe storm
- Florida breaks record for highest single-day COVID-19 cases in the US