The Department of Defense announced today the death of two soldiers who were supporting Operation Freedom’s Sentinel.
Both soldiers died Feb. 8, 2020, in Nangarhar Province, Afghanistan, as a result of wounds sustained while engaged in combat operations. The incident is under investigation.
The deceased are:
Sgt. 1st Class* Javier Jaguar Gutierrez, 28, of San Antonio, Texas.
Sgt. 1st Class* Antonio Rey Rodriguez, 28, of Las Cruces, New Mexico.
* indicates posthumous promotion
Both soldiers were assigned to 3rd Battalion, 7th Special Forces Group (Airborne), Eglin Air Force Base, Florida.
- Oklahoma dad battles through stroke, COVID-19 to get to daughter’s wedding
- Black woman left bound and upside down in police car says she cried watching bodycam video
- Mark Cuban donates $50,000 to both LA deputies shot in ambush attack
- Pirate-themed scavenger hunt coming to Birmingham Nov. 21
- Two full moons to shine in October