MCCALLA, Ala. (WIAT) — One man is dead after the car he was driving went into a lake Friday morning and he drowned.
At approximately 5:30 a.m., deputies with the Jefferson County Sheriff’s Office were called to the 7700 block of Barbara Drive in McCalla on reports of a vehicle submerged in a body of water. According to the JCSO, rescue crews entered the water to locate the driver.
Once the victim–a 57-year-old man from McCalla– was located, life saving efforts were attempted but unsuccessful and he died.
The Jefferson County Sheriff’s START team is investigating the cause of the accident.
- Biden team preps for inauguration while lawmakers look ahead to impeachment trial of President Trump
- Central AL Forecast: Stays cold & sunny tomorrow; Rainy later this week
- Pro-Trump demonstrators, some armed, start descending on Michigan, Ohio and South Carolina statehouses
- How Betty White is celebrating her 99th birthday Sunday
- Baby giraffe, born while the world watched, dies at Nashville zoo