MONTGOMERY, Ala. (AP) — The mayor of Montgomery is seeking to name a street after legendary civil rights attorney Fred Gray.
The Montgomery Advertiser reports that Montgomery Mayor Steven Reed has proposed to change the name of West Jeff Davis Avenue to Fred D. Gray Avenue in honor of the legendary civil rights attorney who grew up there.
Gray was Rosa Parks’ attorney and the legal adviser to Martin Luther King Jr. He won court victories against segregation and inequality throughout the Civil Rights Era, often while facing personal and professional retaliation.
- Bubba’s Block Party draws attention to diversity, inclusion to NASCAR fans
- ‘She means everything to me’ Victim wants emotional support dog returned after car theft
- Legendary guitarist James Burton confirms kidney cancer diagnosis
- Remembering fatal crash that claimed 3 lives one year ago
- ‘Complete destruction’: Aerial video shows Hurricane Ian’s impact on Sanibel Island, Fort Myers Beach