MONTGOMERY, Ala. (AP) — The mayor of Montgomery is seeking to name a street after legendary civil rights attorney Fred Gray.
The Montgomery Advertiser reports that Montgomery Mayor Steven Reed has proposed to change the name of West Jeff Davis Avenue to Fred D. Gray Avenue in honor of the legendary civil rights attorney who grew up there.
Gray was Rosa Parks’ attorney and the legal adviser to Martin Luther King Jr. He won court victories against segregation and inequality throughout the Civil Rights Era, often while facing personal and professional retaliation.
- Calm day at Alabama Capitol on Inauguration Day
- ‘His corrupt friends all come first.’ Tiger King reacts to not being pardoned by Trump
- Packers, Chiefs favorites heading into championship games
- WATCH: Garth Brooks calls for unity in ‘Amazing Grace’ inauguration performance
- Why is Harris the 49th vice president when Biden is the 46th president?