NEW DELHI, India (KRON) — A man has died in India after a fight with his rooster as the two were on their way to a cockfight.
Saripalli Chanavenkateshwaram Rao, 50, was hit in the neck with a blade tied to the rooster’s claw on Jan. 15, CNN reports.
Officials said the man was a regular at local cockfights and was on his way to enter the rooster in a competition when it tried to get away and break free.
A police spokesperson told CNN the father of three was taken to the hospital where he later died from a stroke.
Rao lived in a village in southern India’s Andhra Pradesh state.
Cockfighting has been illegal in India since 1960, but continues to cause problems around the country.
- Homicide investigation underway in east Birmingham
- At least 1 dead as Hurricane Zeta hammers Gulf Coast
- Red Cross gearing up for Hurricane Zeta
- East Alabama prepares for potential impacts from Zeta
- FBI warns ransomware assault threatens US healthcare system