TUSCALOOSA, Ala. (WIAT) — A man has been found guilty in the death of a gas station clerk as she was attempting to stop him for stealing three cases of beer.
Dewan Hampton was convicted of manslaughter and theft during a court hearing Thursday. Hampton was charged with stealing beer from the Shell Food Mart on Skyland Boulevard in July 2018. According to police reports, clerk Sheila Britton ran outside and tried to get the beer back, but was dragged through the parking lot by the car Hampton was in.
Another suspect in the case, Michael Burrell, will be tried at another time.
- Convention countdown: How coronavirus is impacting preps for RNC in Florida, DNC in Wisconsin
- Foreign students who take online courses risk losing visa this fall
- Trussville PD arrests woman in connection to stolen rental car
- Sessions steps up attacks on Tuberville ahead of runoff
- Georgia Jimmy John’s workers fired for making noose out of bread dough