TUSCALOOSA, Ala. (WIAT) — A man has been found guilty in the death of a gas station clerk as she was attempting to stop him for stealing three cases of beer.
Dewan Hampton was convicted of manslaughter and theft during a court hearing Thursday. Hampton was charged with stealing beer from the Shell Food Mart on Skyland Boulevard in July 2018. According to police reports, clerk Sheila Britton ran outside and tried to get the beer back, but was dragged through the parking lot by the car Hampton was in.
Another suspect in the case, Michael Burrell, will be tried at another time.
- Schools cancel after school activities ahead of Monday weather threat
- Shooting investigation underway at Fairfield motorcycle club
- WEATHER AWARE: Strong storms possible Monday late afternoon into evening
- Birmingham opening warming station Tuesday, December 17
- Memorial service date set for Aniah Blanchard