VESTAVIA HILLS, Ala. (WIAT) — UPDATE (2/10/20): The Jefferson County Coroner’s Office has identified the suspect that was shot and pronounced dead on the 3700 block of Old Overton Road in Vestavia.
The suspect, 67-year-old Douglas Harold Hart of Irondale, Alabama, was pronounced dead at the scene, Saturday, Feb.8 at 5:01 p.m.
Original Story: A Vestavia Hills police officer was taken to the hospital Saturday evening suffering an injury during a gunfire exchange with a suspect.
Around 4:20 p.m., the Vestavia Hills Police Department responded to a report of a person with a gun in the 4400 block of Old Overton Road. Once officers arrived, they made contact with a man and shots were fired, police report.
The suspect was shot and pronounced dead on the scene, police say. One police officer was injured and taken to the hospital where he was treated and released.
At this time, the Alabama Law Enforcement Agency (ALEA) is conducting an investigation.
This web story has been updated to correct that the police officer was not shot during the shooting, but was injured during the shooting.
- Pedestrian struck, killed on Lorna Road
- Central AL Forecast: Cooler & Quiet as Fall Begins on Tuesday
- Celebrities react to death of Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg
- GOP senator to introduce bill reimbursing parents $800 for remote learning expenses
- ‘Thank you for everything’: Oklahoma man battling COVID-19 texts mom before going into coma