MONTGOMERY, Ala. (WIAT) — Alabama State Senator David Burkett has officially resigned, according to Gov. Kay Ivey’s Office.
Burkett turned in a resignation letter Tuesday saying it was “effective immediately.”
Gov. Ivey’s Office released a statement on the senator’s decision:
“Governor Ivey is disappointed, but firmly supports the rule of law, and particularly in this situation when there has been a clear misuse of public trust.”Press Secretary Gina Maiola
Burkett has represented District 26 of the Alabama Senate since 2018. Why he decided to resign has not been announced.
No other information has been released at this time.
- 7.5 earthquake near Alaska triggers tsunami warning
- BPD investigating hit and run that killed driver on I-59
- DOJ accuses 6 Russian intelligence officers of vast computer hacking
- Jasper City Council to vote on mask ordinance Tuesday
- Woman attacked, killed by pack of dogs in Walker County