ODENVILLE, Ala. (WIAT) — St. Clair County High School’s football game has been moved after a fire broke out at the pressbox and concession stand, leaving the structure destroyed and unable to be used for future games.
Odenville Fire Department responded after the call came in around 9:45 a.m. They were able to contain the flames and there are no reported injuries. Fire officials believe this was caused by a grease fire in the concession stand where they were preparing food for Friday’s football game.
“I couldn’t believe how much damage could be done in such a short amount of time,” says Mike Howard, principal at Saint Clair County High School. “It’s a total loss.”
But it’s not just the concession stand that took a hit as the press box sits right above, creating a whole new set of issues.
“Having the press box above it affects everything because now you can’t operate the scoreboard,” says Howard. “You can’t do any announcements over the loudspeaker or anything else.”
For this reason, the last three home games for the Fighting Saints will be relocated to different venues, which adds to the financial loss. In addition to the costs to replace the structure, the school will lose the parking and concession revenue from those last three home contests.
But it’s not just money that was lost in the fire.
“The big thing that really bothers me is that our seniors won’t get a chance to play on their field again,” says Matt Glover, the school’s head football coach. “We had three more home games this year and more than likely we’ll have to move all the games to opposing stadiums.”
“This is history here,” adds Howard. “A lot of alumni have played in this stadium for a very long time and this press box and concession stand have been here since day one.”
The football game against Munford High School will now be held at Moody High School at 7 p.m. The location for the final two home games has yet to be determined.