SHELBY COUNTY, Ala. (WIAT) — The Shelby County Sheriff’s Office arrested a man Sept. 30 after he stole a school bus from Shelby County Schools during a police chase.
According to SCSO, deputies were in pursuit of a vehicle in the early morning. Daniel Charles Smith was a passenger in the vehicle at the time and then fled on foot once the vehicle stopped.
Smith then went to Shelby Elementary and stole a school bus. He was identified through video surveillance by deputies who were familiar with him.
A BOLO alert was issued and after receiving a tip, authorities were able to arrest him.
Smith is charged with first-degree theft of property. He is currently in the Shelby County Jail on a $30,000 bond from this incident and two others.
- Bed, Bath & Beyond to close 200 stores
- Birmingham photographer using gift to help human trafficking victims
- Driver who hit Seattle protesters charged with 3 felonies
- ‘Glee’ star Naya Rivera missing, presumed dead after 4-year-old son found adrift on boat in Lake Piru
- Central AL Forecast: Rain not as widespread with hotter temperatures ahead