JEFFERSON COUNTY, Ala. (WIAT) — Deputies are investigating a shooting where one child accidentally shot another Saturday morning.
Around 11:45 a.m., Jefferson County deputies were dispatched to Western Hills Mall to investigate a shooting of a 4-year-old boy.
The toddler was taken to Children’s Hospital by family members before deputies were notified, the sheriff’s office reports.
According to witness statements, the boy was in the backseat of a vehicle with his siblings. A younger sibling found a handgun in the car and accidentally shot the boy.
The sheriff’s office reports the child is in critical condition.
Detectives are continuing to investigate the shooting.
Check back for updates.
- COVID-19 event cancellations cause Alabama, Lyric theaters to look for other ways to keep the lights on
- CBS 42 Cares: Your Source of Information for Local Organizations and Events in Central Alabama That You Can Support
- WATCH: Senator Doug Jones, Montgomery Mayor Reed to provide updates about COVID-19 crisis
- Our Lady of Sorrows Fourth of July Festival adapting during pandemic
- WATCH: City Council President, JCDH officials, and faith leaders provide updates on Legion Field testing site