HELENA, Ala. (WIAT) — The sentencing date for a Helena couple who pleaded guilty to aggravated child abuse has been set for June 4.
Richard and Cynthia Kelly pleaded guilty back in December 2019 to holding their 14-year-old adopted son in a basement and starving him.
The Kellys were arrested in November 2016 after their son was admitted to the hospital. The Helena Police Department reported the child weighed 55 pounds and was kept in isolation for an extended period of time. Investigators also said the child was suffering from shock and hypothermia.
The sentencing hearing for the Kellys had been scheduled for February of this year before the coronavirus pandemic forced courts to stop hearing cases.
- House coronavirus panel examines medical companies’ concerns over PPE shortages
- Standoff in Sylacauga market ends peacefully
- After fight with co-worker, man calls his father who shoots, injures 2 at Bessemer business
- Texas governor issues mask order to fight coronovirus
- Alabama scuba diver hooked while diving, reeled to the surface