FULTONDALE, Ala. (WIAT) — The city of Fultondale honored those who died while fighting for our freedom.
A ceremony was held Monday morning honoring members of each branch of service. There were a few veterans in attendance at the Memorial Day ceremony. They saluted the stars and stripes being lowered to half staff.
Fultondale Mayor Jim Lowery said that although things are different now, the memory of those who paid the ultimate sacrifice will never be forgotten.
“Hero is a word that’s tossed around somewhat loosely at times now but today we did giver tribute and remembrance to those that I think are our true heroes, those that have given their lives for the country,” Lowery said.
The ceremony also served as a tribute to first responders on the front lines of the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Judge UW Clemon reflects on the legacy of Ruth Bader Ginsburg
- Package containing ricin and addressed to Trump intercepted by law enforcement
- Group issues Halloween 2020 guidelines, color-coded coronavirus risk map
- Hoover sending E-911 operators to help with Hurricane Sally aid efforts
- Gospel artist Koryn Hawthorne: “Encouragement for the times”