FULTONDALE, Ala. (WIAT) — The city of Fultondale honored those who died while fighting for our freedom.
A ceremony was held Monday morning honoring members of each branch of service. There were a few veterans in attendance at the Memorial Day ceremony. They saluted the stars and stripes being lowered to half staff.
Fultondale Mayor Jim Lowery said that although things are different now, the memory of those who paid the ultimate sacrifice will never be forgotten.
“Hero is a word that’s tossed around somewhat loosely at times now but today we did giver tribute and remembrance to those that I think are our true heroes, those that have given their lives for the country,” Lowery said.
The ceremony also served as a tribute to first responders on the front lines of the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Blazing house fire in Brighton destroys home
- Pandemic, racism compound worries about Black suicide rate
- Homewood pools close due to COVID-19 case
- Grand River drive-in reopens for screenings
- University of Alabama group demands “a seat at the table”, after being excluded from important meetings