Jefferson County (WIAT) -- Less than a week away from the election, allegations against one candidate result in an ethics complaint.
The Jefferson County Republican Party says Marshell Hatcher, the Democrat candidate for circuit court judge, has been using her campaign account to pay her utility bills. CBS 42 found out that Hatcher has spent money on utilities for Alabama Power and Birmingham Water Works, but according to Hatcher's spokesman, he says the expenses are for her campaign building. CBS 42 found that it's legal. Chairman of Jefferson County Republican Party Sallie Bryant says the issue still needs to be investigated. "I just feel like it needed to come out publicly," says Bryant.
Marshell Hatcher released a statement, “It is unfortunate that this campaign has been reduced to such ugly actions by my opponent. It is no coincidence that this press release is sent to news organizations 5 days before the election. The allegations are absolutely false.”
Elections are on November 6th.
- Copyright 2018 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
- Central AL Forecast: Another cold, wet day
- Walker Co. neighbors concerned about dangerous intersection
- Hate crimes rose 17 percent last year, according to new FBI data
- Space heaters not allowed in bleachers for Oxford High School football playoff game