The Latest — 12 a.m.
After protesters vandalized buildings in downtown Birmingham, Mayor Randall Woodfin made a statement following destruction made to different buildings and Confederate monuments in the downtown area.
Birmingham Mayor Randall Woodfin arrived at the protest while protesters were attempting to remove the confederate monument at Linn Park.
Mayor Woodfin asked protesters to stand down. He is asking for 24 hours to get this statue down.
BIRMINGHAM, Ala. (WIAT) — Protesters have filled Linn Park in Birmingham.
People with signs that read “Black Lives Matter” and “I can’t breathe” chanted George Floyd’s name calling for justice in his death.
Around 8 p.m., protesters began taking down the boards around the confederate monument that stands tall at Linn Park. Protesters with spray paint began writing on the monument.
Follow CBS 42 Reporter Malique Rankin for the latest.
- Employee at Alabama Veteran’s Home says ‘hero pay’ to workers stopped
- Virginia rocket launch may be visible for most of East Coast and as far west as Ohio
- President Trump now says he supports DACA, wants to make it law
- Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg hospitalized for possible infection
- JeffCo. detectives need assistance identifying suspect in CVS attempted robbery