The Latest — 12 a.m.
After protesters vandalized buildings in downtown Birmingham, Mayor Randall Woodfin made a statement following destruction made to different buildings and Confederate monuments in the downtown area.
Birmingham Mayor Randall Woodfin arrived at the protest while protesters were attempting to remove the confederate monument at Linn Park.
Mayor Woodfin asked protesters to stand down. He is asking for 24 hours to get this statue down.
BIRMINGHAM, Ala. (WIAT) — Protesters have filled Linn Park in Birmingham.
People with signs that read “Black Lives Matter” and “I can’t breathe” chanted George Floyd’s name calling for justice in his death.
Around 8 p.m., protesters began taking down the boards around the confederate monument that stands tall at Linn Park. Protesters with spray paint began writing on the monument.
Follow CBS 42 Reporter Malique Rankin for the latest.
- ‘Bankrupt’ 50 Cent endorses Trump for president
- Tonight on WGN America: Top US health officials give NewsNation exclusive coronavirus update
- Construction to begin at Gadsden’s Sports Park
- Miami officer photographed wearing Trump mask at polling place
- Tracking the Tropics: Tropical Storm Epsilon may become a hurricane near Bermuda