HUNTSVILLE, Ala. (AP) — Police in north Alabama appeared to use smoke and pepper spray, or another chemical agent, to sweep protesters out of the courthouse square in Huntsville.
Video of the chaotic scene streamed by WHNT, WAFF and other media outlets showed law enforcement agents wearing gas masks and riot gear advancing on the crowd after protesters refused an order to leave the area. Law enforcement officers appeared to deploy smoke canisters and a chemical agent.
The crowd began running away and the video showed some demonstrators using water to wash out their eyes.
- Foreign students who take online courses risk losing visa this fall
- Trussville PD arrests woman in connection to stolen rental car
- Sessions steps up attacks on Tuberville ahead of runoff
- Georgia Jimmy John’s workers fired for making noose out of bread dough
- Face-covering ordinances in Alabama: Where they are required and for how long