JEFFERSON COUNTY, Ala. (WIAT) — Deputies arrested a man after he fired shots at them while they were responding to a report of a person firing a weapon.
The shooter is identified as 49-year-old Charles Benjamin Cofield.
Around 11 a.m. Saturday, Jefferson County Deputies responded to the 8200 Block of West Hill Road in Pinson on a call of a person firing a weapon. When deputies arrived on the scene, the suspect fired shots at them from inside a house, JeffCo. deputies report. Deputies took cover and called for assistance. Entry was made into the house by the Jefferson County SWAT team and they were able to take the shooter into custody without injury.
During the investigation, deputies recovered the weapon and other evidence inside the home.
Contact was made with the suspect’s family who stated that the subject may require mental health assistance.
Cofield was transported to a local hospital under guard for a mental evaluation, the sheriff’s office reports. After evaluation and release, Cofield was transported to the Jefferson County jail.
Cofield is charged with three counts of attempted murder with bonds totaling $450,000.00.
- Health Officer fears risks of COVID spread at upcoming parties, gatherings
- Treasury Secretary Mnuchin, Fed Chair Powell testify on COVID-19 relief needs
- President Trump vows defense bill veto unless internet liability shield scrapped
- Health care workers go on strike, demand protection against virus
- Hospitals dealing with nationwide shortage of nurses