JEFFERSON COUNTY, Ala. (WIAT) — Deputies arrested a man after he fired shots at them while they were responding to a report of a person firing a weapon.
The shooter is identified as 49-year-old Charles Benjamin Cofield.
Around 11 a.m. Saturday, Jefferson County Deputies responded to the 8200 Block of West Hill Road in Pinson on a call of a person firing a weapon. When deputies arrived on the scene, the suspect fired shots at them from inside a house, JeffCo. deputies report. Deputies took cover and called for assistance. Entry was made into the house by the Jefferson County SWAT team and they were able to take the shooter into custody without injury.
During the investigation, deputies recovered the weapon and other evidence inside the home.
Contact was made with the suspect’s family who stated that the subject may require mental health assistance.
Cofield was transported to a local hospital under guard for a mental evaluation, the sheriff’s office reports. After evaluation and release, Cofield was transported to the Jefferson County jail.
Cofield is charged with three counts of attempted murder with bonds totaling $450,000.00.
- Off-duty nurse helps mother deliver baby in California parking garage
- Suspect arrested in connection to East Jefferson County shooting death
- Fox stands behind Tucker Carlson after Anti-Defamation League urges his firing
- US recommends pause on Johnson & Johnson vaccine use over blood clots
- Suspect taken into custody after police chase ends in Trafford