FORESTDALE, Ala (WIAT) — An officer-involved car accident took place at the Exxon gas station on the corner of Forestdale Boulevard and Heflin Avenue on Saturday around 4 p.m.
Birmingham Police were in a vehicle pursuit with another vehicle that was not a part of the accident, Sgt. Rodarius Mauldin said. The Birmingham police officer a passing vehicle on the road, then a gas pump at the Exxon gas station. The car police were originally chasing ended up fleeing police custody.
Police tell CBS 42 there were two adults and three children in the car that was hit by the police officer. All three children were sent to Children’s Hospital, police say. The two adults were sent to an area hospital as well. Sgt. Mauldin reports the extent of their injuries are unknown at this time.
The Birmingham Police officer also sustained injuries in the accident. Police are also not sure of the severity of their injuries either.
CBS 42 will continue to update this story as more information is released.
This story was updated to change information Birmingham Police released to CBS 42. Initially, police reported the injuries in all parties involved were non-life threatening, however, it’s been updated to report Birmingham Police are not sure of the extent of the injuries for those involved in the accident.
- ‘Do your homework’: Officials warn tornado damage victims of fraud contractors
- SEC Media Days returning to Hoover in 2021, 2023 event to now be held in Nashville
- Here’s what has to happen for $1,400 stimulus checks to become reality
- Biden: 200 million more COVID-19 vaccines ordered, expected to arrive this summer
- 14-year-old identified as victim killed in Fultondale storm