JEFFERSON COUNTY, Ala. (WIAT) — UPDATE (2/25): Court documents have revealed new details on the off-duty Jefferson County Sheriff’s Office deputy who was arrested for DUI Friday.
Deputy Robert Wayne Latta was arrested Friday after he was pulled over on Hwy 79.
Records show that Latta’s blood-alcohol level was 0.22 at the time of his arrest. That is nearly three times the legal limit.
Latta’s court appearance is scheduled for March 20.
ORIGINAL (2/21): An off-duty Jefferson County Sheriff’s Office deputy was arrested and charged with driving under the influence and reckless driving Friday afternoon.
According to the sheriff’s office, the off-duty deputy was driving a Jefferson County patrol unit erratically on Highway 79. An on-duty deputy attempted to perform a stop on the unit to see if the erratic driver was in distress.
The driver did not stop until they reached their residence. Once stopped, the driver, identified to be Robert Wayne Latta, 53, was arrested after being found to be under the influence of alcohol.
Latta was booked into the Jefferson County Jail just after 1:30 p.m., according to court documents.
Latta is currently being held in the jail on a $600 bond. According to the JCSO, Latta has been placed on administrative leave and is pending a formal investigation.
This story was updated Monday, Feb. 24 with more information on Latta from the department.
- WATCH LIVE: Birmingham announces free service to assist residents with financial issues from COVID-19 pandemic
- Florida man received $1.9 million in coronavirus relief funds, used money to buy Mercedes, prosecutors say
- Aunt mourns 14-year-old boy with Asperger’s beaten to death in Tennessee home
- Alabama Senate candidates talk policy, opponents in exclusive raw interviews
- As US hits highest 7-day average for virus cases, these states are hardest hit