CARBON HILL, Ala. (WIAT) — At a special called meeting Wednesday, Carbon Hill City Council appointed a new mayor after the former mayor resigned less than a week ago.
April Herron has been appointed as the new mayor of Carbon Hill. She was a member of the city council serving District 3.
This comes after former Mayor Mark Chambers turned in a letter of resignation Saturday, June 27. Chambers made a Facebook post stating he no longer will support Alabama football and head coach Nick Saban. The post did not come long after Alabama football made a social media post in support of the Black Lives Matter movement.
Chambers also made insensitive comments a year prior to this incident. Again on Facebook, Chambers made complaints on a post that said “homosexuals lecture us on morals” and “transvestites lecture us on human biology.”
- Trump’s unemployment benefit orders ‘are complete mess’
- Documents: Man charged with indecent exposure after incident at daughter’s sleepover
- Man says he was discriminated against at casino for bringing a purse
- Motorcyclist killed in McCalla vehicle collision
- Second stimulus checks: Where we stand as a new week begins