CULLMAN, Ala. (AP) – A former president of an Alabama civic club will avoid prison after pleading guilty to stealing more than $365,000 from a county fair.
Court records show 72-year-old Stephen Singleton pleaded guilty earlier this month to stealing from the Cullman County Fair Association over a seven-year period ending in 2019. A judge ordered him to repay the money and spend five years on probation.
Singleton was a member of the Cullman Lions Club, which sponsors the annual fair, and the group’s website showed he once served as president.
The club released a statement earlier this year saying it had uncovered the misappropriation of a large amount of money.
- Here’s how you can get your very own Tua Tagovailoa bobblehead
- Houston looks to boost turnout by offering 24-hour voting
- Second stimulus checks: How negotiations went from optimistic to ugly
- McWane Science Center helping kids learn the science behind Halloween
- Newsfeed Now: Biden returns to Iowa; Trump plays defense in Mich., Wis.