HUNTSVILLE, Ala. (AP) — An Alabama man has pleaded guilty to killing his roommate with an ax just before his trial was set to begin.
News outlets report 59-year-old Randal Beard was sentenced Monday to life in prison. The Madison County chief trial attorney says 63-year-old Robert Bezotte was found dead in a Huntsville home in 2017.
Beard was accused of striking Bezotte more than 40 times with an ax and then attempting to steal items from him.
Beard had been charged with capital murder but pleaded guilty to murder. He also gave up his right to appeal as a part of the plea deal.
- Andy Reid celebrated AFC Championship with cheeseburger then went to bed
- Kanye West joins Birmingham evangelist at Christian conference
- 2020 Watch: Will impeachment change the primary?
- U.S. immigration courts overwhelmed by migrants awaiting hearings
- Alabama National Guardsman reunites with children at school in Opelika