BIRMINGHAM, Ala. (WIAT) -- November is World Vegan Month. In this week's edition of Living Well with Michelle, Michelle went inside a raw kitchen in Birmingham to gain insight about how to prepare tasty vegan dishes. Amanda Blake Coile is the owner and general manager of Sprout & Pour Juicery + Cafe in downtown Birmingham.
“I think it’s educating people on how to really flavor those foods well," said Coile. "So you don’t feel like you’re just eating green leaves."
She said adding citrus and salt to fresh produce will help enhance flavors. Creativity is key while making raw vegan dishes. Without the use of heat or eggs in the cooking process, Coile said there are a few staple ingredients to perfect vegan dishes.
“Cashews, dates, cinnamon, honey," said Coile. "Things that are binding.”
Registered dietitian Abby Nevins said that you don't have to be a vegan to eat like a vegan some of the time.
“You’re just gonna have the overall health complex of a more nutritious person by shifting a little bit more vegan," said Nevins. "Because there are more fruits and vegetables in that diet.”
- Copyright 2019 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
- A single-vehicle crash claimed the life of a Haleyville woman
- Saturday is National Puppy Day!
- MAJOR SALE: Lovelady Thrift celebrates its birthday with 50% off everything Saturday
- Grammy-winning singer Jason Isbell brings new fest home