FAIRFIELD, Ala. (WIAT) — The Jefferson County Sheriff’s Office will now be in charge of patrolling the city of Fairfield.
You can watch the Jefferson County Sheriff’s Office Press Conference in the feed below (app users click here):
“I have always had a passion for protecting others, and my commitment to expand the duties of my office is a reflection of that,” Jefferson County Sheriff Pettway said. “Any time that we can be of service to our neighboring communities, I am always on board for that and I’m thankful that we are in a place to help ensure that the Fairfield community remains safe.”
The Fairfield City Council had previously voted to disband the Fairfield Police Department in 2016 due to fiscal constraints.
“In the city’s current financial crisis I support any law enforcement that will increase the safety and quality of life of the citizens of Fairfield,” Cheif Nick Dyer said.
JCSO and Fairfield city officials will formally announce the plans Friday at Fairfield City Hall at 10:30 a.m.
Stay with CBS 42 as more information is released.
- Alabama Ghost Stories: Condie Cunningham
- ‘You can’t help but be emotional’: Oak tree ends up in kitchen of Chilton County home
- Man mauled after paying for ‘full-contact’ leopard experience in Florida
- National Cat Day: 8 weird things cats do and why
- Residents in Hoover work to recover from Hurricane Zeta storm damages